Yokohama was only a small fishing village until the Tokugawa shogunate buile a trade port there in 1859, after it singed trade treaties in 1858 with five countries: the United States,Russia, the Netherlands, England, and France.
The main exports from the port at the time were silk, tea, and seafood; the main imports were silk and woolen texitles.
Trade in raw silk helped Yokkohama develop into one of the country's top international trade cities,along with Kobe.
A new bay area Called Minato Mirai 21 and the Landmark Tower Buildeing, the second tallest in Japan, were completed in 1993.
Built in 1930, Yamashita Park is one of the first seaside parks in Japan.
The land where the park is located was reclaimed from the sea using rubble created by Great kanto Earthquake.
It covers an area of 74,121 square meters.
■Osanhashi Yokohama Internal Passenger Terminal
The first Osanbashi Terminal was constructed in 1894 as a full-fledged passenger terminal after the Port of Yokohama was opened.
The first terminal was damaged during the Great Kanto Earthquake and again during the Second World War, and was taken over by the U.S. Allied Forces after the war.
In 1964, a new Osanbashi terminal was completed in time for the Tokyo Olympics, and was rebuilt in 1987.
The fourth-generation terminal was completed in 2002. Two cruise ships as large as the Queen Elizabetb 2 can dock at the terminal.